Sunday, May 15, 2016

Week 78: Seeds


Whew. Well, I mentioned that we've been trying to work with members better, so that was our focus this week.

To put things into perspective a bit, there is one elder in the district who has three months left on his mission. He's kept track with a counter of all the people that he's invited off the street. He's now reached over 45,000, and 3 of them have gotten baptized. It's awesome that three people have been baptized, but those aren't really great odds. Whereas it's been estimated that 1 of 4 member referrals get baptized. Oddly enough, member referrals are almost harder to come by. We're hoping that we can meet some part-member families or member friends to teach. It's kind of a new shift in working style for me, but one that I think will be worth it. If nothing else, it's been neat to meet with a lot of members and hear their stories, and the strength of testimonies in the face of opposition.

Elder Young and I are also putting more focus on general service. One neat thing that happened was meeting Chai, a young man from Berma here working in Thailand. He's picked up a lot of Thai here, enough to get by. But he can't read it. So we offered to teach him. It's been way cool; he's got 18 letters down now and is progressing well. I never thought that I would be teaching another person from southeast Asia how to read Thai.

That's it for this week!

Elder Parish

1. Brother Jackie from Chaing Mai got baptized!


2. Brother Um in Buriram (see week 50) got baptized!

I finished the Book of Mormon in Thai!


1. A large LED screen.

2. Ah, errors...

1. Yikes.


2. Bangkok. Taken from the top of our apartment building.

No comments:

Post a Comment