I finished and started the Book of Mormon again. Reading the Tree of Life vision was a bit different reading as a missionary. It's my role to help people through the darkness and find the rod, to start on the path and taste of the fruit. I'd only ever really considered my progress in that story, and it was interesting to see it in a different light. Among other things, I particularly liked 1 Nephi 8:33, where it says that they heeded not those who mocked them. They knew it was good, and no amount of social persuasion could change that.
I got shaved with a straight razor this week. That was something that I can say I've done now.
Like the mock investigator in the MTC, we have one solid investigator who is expected to serve as a monk for some time. He says that he should be able to get baptized in a couple years though. We're not sure what will happen there.
I had a couple neat experiences this week.
My companion and I had an appointment on Saturday evening. As we were leaving the church to head over there, I had a thought that I should grab another Book of Mormon to carry around (I always carry one around [of course], but had given the one I had to an investigator the day before). Minutes later, we contacted an Islamic man and as we talked, it became essential that we have a Book of Mormon to show and give to him. Funny how natural promptings from the spirit feel sometimes. I was very grateful for the little thought that came to my mind when I needed it.
We had a great lesson yesterday. We've been teaching a woman and her two kids (8 and 11) when we can set up appointments, and they are great (they come to English class on Tuesdays, and we started teaching the gospel a couple weeks ago). The lesson was the Plan of Salvation, which is something is totally foreign to most Thai people (Buddhism teaches reincarnation). At the beginning of the lesson, we tried to establish needs and understand how to make this relevant to her. She talked about the death of her husband a couple years before, and it brought tears to her eyes. We were able to testify that God is mindful of her, and that she would see her husband again and live with her family forever. We told her that she didn't have to just believe us, and that she could pray and know it was true herself. If she did, she would be able to feel the truth of it in her heart. She told us that while we were teaching, she already knew it was true. She kind of stopped, not sure how to go on. I said "You can feel it, right? In your heart?" As I said that, I was touched, deep down. With tears in her eyes, she said that she could, and the spirit was very strong. As it says in D&C 50:22, "Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together." I'm grateful to have the opportunity to share this message of hope with people who don't know it's there.
Thank you all!
Elder Parish
1. Waterfall
2. More waterfall
No comments:
Post a Comment