Monday, October 17, 2016

Week 99: กะเทย

This week...
Ok, transfers! I was transferred up to Nongkhai for my last transfer in as a missionary. Nongkhai is right up next to the border of Laos, which is pretty cool. And very small. Esan (a derivative of Lao) is the common language here, so I'll be working on getting that down. Most everyone can still speak the "Bangkok" Thai as well though, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll be training again; I'm companions with Elder Hansen from Utah.

A lot of the week got dissolved in packing and transportation and all the necessary transfer business. We ended up with Friday-Sunday to work, but watched Conference two of those days. All this makes for a short weekly.

One neat thing that happened was teaching Sister Punnadaa's family. They're Protestant and walked into church last week. I got to teach them a second lesson, and then then came to church for a full six hours of Conference--longer than most of the members. They're very humble and faithful and I'm excited for them. They also live 3 hours away, so we'll see where that goes.

Until next week!
Elder Parish

1. This woman sitting behind Elder Brown is not a woman.

2. From a service project awhile back. Cleaning up the home of an old woman who can't really move her body.

3. Me standing in Nongkhai with Laos across the river behind me.

4. This is a statue of a Naga, a legendary 5-headed snake that is believed to exist. Next Sunday (the 16th) there is an event where mysterious fireballs rise from the river and float up to the sky, and I think it's somehow related to the Naga. It's sounds a little far-fetched to me, but tons of people have gathered together for the past hundred years or more to watch it. I'm not sure what to think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment