Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Week 36: Monkeys and a Mountain

Once again, this past week was a little slow. We weren't able to meet with any potential investigators. We met with a few investigators and helped address concerns, but nothing particularly dramatic.

Last P-day we went to Lopburi, which is known for the monkeys that live in the city. We also hiked a mountain up to a wat. The hike is a long stairway with 3,790 steps. That was pretty cool.

Sister Le-ong went to church yesterday! She got off the taxi motorcycle in front of the church, and one of the members went out and gave her a big hug. She walked through the doors and was greeted with smiles and wais from the members. I was touched to see the love that they displayed for a returned member, and I know she was touched too.

Less-active Sister Ann didn't wake up on time to get to church. She's getting closer though.

Sometimes, missionary work feels a little less than miraculous. Miracles definitely happen, but it's a bit of a challenge to rememeber that during the grind between miracles. It's a bit wearing on the morale, which can lead to a less-than optimal attitude. One of the many challenges of missionary work, and one that I've been encountering (again) the past couple weeks as investigators dry up and we try to fill our time with useful activities. 

This week, I got timely guidance/perspective from Our Heritage, and also a couple articles on the life of Joseph Smith from The Liahona. Joseph Smith and the early saints went through some really challenging trials, trials that we can look back on and see how they were beneficial to their faith and growth. But in the moment, those trials didn't seem miraculous, more just part of the grind. The establishment of the church was without a doubt a miraculous event, but accomplished through (primarily) very natural means and man's agency. Right now, I am part of the natural means to help others know Christ. So, a challenge to myself and everyone: keep perspective during the grind. Trust that there's a loving God who is guiding events for our benefit. Remember that while life appears to be a little lacking in miracles; things will turn around.

Thank you all!

Elder Parish

1. Lopburi


There's a handrail all the way up. It doubles as an express way down, for those that are up to it. This guy is 60+ and slides down the rail on an old sugar bag every day. I also slid down, which was fun.


This week I ate crocodile and bugs.




No comments:

Post a Comment