Monday, April 27, 2015

Week 23: Changing Expectations

My new companion and I are on fire. I'm seeing a new style of missionary work with him, and we're both working hard to get good things done.

As mentioned in previous letters, the mission has been suffering for baptisms the past few months. There was a huge push for baptisms up to the end of last year (which resulted in an extraordinary 2,000 baptisms), but has been going downhill since then. President Senior decided that the problem was with the expectations of missionaries. Everyone's still working hard, but not expecting results. So, he gave training to help re-focus. Already, we're starting to see differences. Our district had 25 investigators at church last Sunday (we've been struggling to get 8), and Elder Taylor and I got 49 potential investigators from contacting in one week (my last transfers, we struggled to get 15). President Senior's goal is 300 baptisms in the month of May, which is 4 baptisms per companionship. We're going to do everything we can to make it happen, and I believe we can see results.

A bit on the disappointing side, we had 3 investigators (friends) that we've been teaching decide to leave and be soldiers in the army this week. They'll be gone for two years, so I won't see them again. I gave a hard commitment to continue reading the Book of Mormon and praying, and I hope that they'll do it.

We're planting a lot of seeds. I am hopeful, and expect that we will begin to see results.

Thanks for all of your support!

Elder Parish
1. Elder Taylor and myself.
2. We made tacos for some RCs (a previous missionary had talked them up, and the RCs had never had them before). It was fun.





More Songkran pictures. I left my thumb drive with the rest of them at home though.






No comments:

Post a Comment