Monday, July 11, 2016

Week 85: Police Escort

We went to the crocodile farm today for P-day so I don't have a lot of time...

A couple things that I would like to share:

In missionary work, it's usually pretty tough to find people that will spend more than a couple minutes considering who we are and what we're about. Most reject much quicker without even thinking about it. Sometimes I wonder why people don't stop for a minute and see things from our point of view, attempt to understand why we're here--I mean, elders are typically pretty good people with good desires, but a lot of people don't get to see that. But really I don't blame them too much; I would probably react similarly in their shoes.


But it's been really neat to see how things are playing out by the English room. Here the neighbors can't really run away because we're right there so often. They've been kind of forced to stop and observe what we're about--and have been impressed. They think we're just the coolest people, out here to help out and teach English for free, without even expecting money from our time here. We're currently in a service war with several of the houses, each party trying to give more than receive. I think we're currently losing. They're always making us food and stuff when we go over (we eat with prudence; some of it is better just to toss. But we're grateful), and tell us they miss us whenever we don't go for a few days. We did get all of their old bicycles in working order for them though, which was a triumph. But our presence there has opened a few hearts, and we're now teaching some people that live close by. I think back to the circumstances under which we got the English room and marvel a little bit.

Conclusion about being an example all the time, going about doing good, how service opens people's hearts, and about how acting with love will often invite the same in return.

Bonus story: we got lost trying to find an LA's house and enlisted the local police department for help. They got way excited at the two handsome white young men that were in their building and were very pleased to help. To the point that we even got a police escort directly to the house of the man we were looking for (them taking pictures of us the whole way). Unfortunately the man had moved some time ago, but that's a fun story.

1-2. Yay, our neighbors by the English room gave us a large bag of food! Open it up to find...

3. What even is this?!

1. Local graffiti.

2. Lychee nuts! Which are really nothing like nuts, but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment