On Friday the zone leaders came and did companion switch-offs. I was paired with Elder Finlayson who served here in Buriram over one year ago. Apparently, President Senior almost closed the area, but was stayed by one elder who suggested he not. Elder Finlayson said that he was here for four months and didn't baptize a soul. But not all of his work was in vain. While he was here, he met Sister Sohm-oh. They talked for a bit, and she said that he was the one who first invited her. Like 20 times. He invited her and her friends to go to church every time he met them, and they laughed and messed with him every time. Some time later, another elder invited her, and she decided to go try it out. She got baptized and is a great member of the ward here in Buriram. It made Elder Finlayson way happy.
We finally got to meet with Ung, the pizza lady from a couple weeks back. She told us about some of her concerns with the Protestant church, and we said we wanted to introduce the history of our church. As we taught, I could see things click into place and understanding grow in her as holes were patched up and restored knowledge was presented. She said that she believed Joseph Smith saw the First Vision, and she's willing to read The Book of Mormon and find out for herself. I'm excited for her.
Elder Hinckley contacted Brother Sup a couple months ago. He's been to church just about every week since then, but hasn't had time to sit down and talk with just the two of us until yesterday after church. It was a good lesson. We asked him why he's been coming to church. He said that he's sen the missionaries in Bangkok and here, and that Elder Hinckley invited him twice on two separate occasions. He finally decided that God must be trying to tell him something and that he should go to church. He said "I come to church to feel better, to take a break. The people here are good and really want to be here. I can see it in their eyes; there's something special." He loves the teachings of the gospel and has already seen changes in his life. He's concerned about drinking; he says it's something he knows he shouldn't do and has slowly been quitting since coming to church. He wants to take it slow, but he enjoys learning.
We went and found an LA member on Friday. That's a story. He's 19 or 20, and was baptized last transfer. He said he wanted to be a missionary. Then he stopped going to church and wouldn't answer his phone. We showed up at his house, and I introduced myself and asked how he was doing. He said "Awful. Elders, I've really messed up. I haven't been to church, and I don't have the Holy Ghost." He'd started smoking again and doing stuff with his girlfriend. My heart just went out to him. He knows he's done some things that are wrong, and feels bad about them. We helped him see that he can still repent and that he doesn't have to live with this guilt. He was much lighter as we left, and I was deeply touched by the example of Christ's saving grace and the opportunity that we all have to let go of those feelings that come from sin. I can't do this experience justice with so little time, but my heart just felt so full. I just know it's true.
He didn't show up for the appointment we set the next day, but we'll get there, I'm sure.
In other news, I got word that Sister Baht whom I taught in Ayuttaya was baptized, woohoo!
Thank you all for your support!
Elder Parish
1. Oh, Thailand. Yeah, there's something to learn.
2. I've mentioned how everyone calls us "fe-lang," which translates to "guava." I'm pretty sure it's because the flesh of a guava it white, and so are we. I didn't know what a guava was before coming here, so here's a picture for all who are in a similar state of knowledge.
No comments:
Post a Comment