Ann, the investigator with a sixth sense is progressing very well. It's been very cool to see her move from an almost mocking air to genuine interst and hope, with a sincere desire to learn more. I'm seeing the Alma 32 cycle of faith.
One investigator of ours told us that she loves coming to church. She says that every time she does, she just feels something, something she can't explain, but something that feels good. We told her it was the spirit telling her that these things are good and teaching her.
We had a lot of cool things happen this week. Probably the highlight for me was visiting a less-active member La-ong. We've been calling her for a few weeks trying to meet with her, and she finally allowed to to go to her home on Sunday. We sat down and just talked for a bit. We didn't know a whole lot about her, and therefore didn't really know how to plan a lesson, so we went in there expecting to first determine her needs and then teach accordingly. She told us about how she's concerned for her son (he's somewhere around 30) and his drinking habits, and the rest of her family. She talked about how she hasn't been to church in a few months because her life was hard and so she started drinking with her friends. She said that the past couple months she's had a lot of challenges, and has been really busy. She said she's feeling like life has no point, she has no friends, and that it would be easier to just kill herself. We talked about the simple things about the gospel that help us, and why it's important to go to church. As we talked, a new light, a new hope came into her eyes. She rememebered the days when she was active, and how she had happiness then, how she felt loved and supported. I could see that she recognized the sharp contrast between the two lifestyles, and that the difference between the two was going to church. She whole-heartedly committed to going back on Sunday, and thanked us for the visit. I think I benefitted just as much as she did. This is it, it just is.
My last time through the Book of Mormon, I was impressed with the repeated theme: when people follow God's commandments, they are prospered and have happiness. When they don't, they don't have happiness. Over and over again. I'm seeing it with these people that I'm around every day. This gospel is for us. It isn't mindless rules and restrictions, it isn't a burden. It may not be easy all the time, but it's the manner of happiness.
I had a neat thought: Next Sunday is July 5, and we have a few people that are almost prepared to be baptized on that day. The preceding day is July 4. The time difference between Thailand and Utah is 14 hours. Baptismal services take place after church, and the actual baptism happens around 12:30 PM. What I'm getting at here, is that there's a very good chance that we will be baptizing people while you all watch fireworks at 10:30 PM. That's kind of fun.
I'm so grateful to be here, and for the things I'm learning. I'm grateful for you all and your support. Thanks!
Elder Parish
1. Sister Warin was baptized. Her less-active husband is on the left. I'm repeatedly impressed by the ripple effect of the gospel. The man on the far left is Nawng, whom I "taught" in the MTC (see week 9).
2. Some homes in my area.
No comments:
Post a Comment