We had Lexie Walker come and sing for us on our Tuesday devotional (for those of you not familar with the name, she's currently 12 and has amazing vocal talent. I recommend watching some youtube videos of her). It was awesome. Her first song was "I am a Child of God," which was incredible. What was more incredible, was when she started singing the second verse in Thai. Our district was ecstatic. It turns out that her older brother is serving in our mission, which is very cool.
We also had BYU Men's chorus come and sing yesterday, and that was also awesome.
My companion spent 5 weeks in Taiwan teaching english, and picked up a lot of Mandarin while he was there. He's says it's really helped him learn Thai. I'm also coming along well. We had two of our investigators (/teachers) tell us that we spoke Thai particularly well after our lessons. That being said, we've been instructed to request for our friends and family to pray for us to have the gift of tongues. I think we've definitely had help already, and we could always have more.
A couple funny Thai faux pas:
-We were asking one of our investigators if he would be baptized in two weeks. Where he had previously been open to the idea, he looked alarmed and kept asking "two weeks, two weeks?" we realized that we were saying "naa tii" (minutes) instead of "ah teet" (weeks).
-The older Thai district were once telling an investigator that "We need to let Jesus help us in our lives", but accidently said "We need to let evil Jesus in our lives" (chuai=help, chua=evil).
We learned that the aforementioned term "fe rang" actually means guava fruit. The Thai people think it's a great joke to see to people they term as "fe rangs" eating guava fruit, because "fe rang gin (to eat) fe grang!"
I played a few games of soccer this weeks, and they were a lot of fun. I contributed more than I thought I would be able to. There were about 24 people playing, and I heard later that people were saying that I was all legs and no torso, which was funny.
Thanks for all of your support.
Riley
No comments:
Post a Comment